ASD Board addresses numerous issues during monthly meeting

By
Updated: March 2, 2018

By Quinton Bagley

Little River News

The Ashdown School Board held its regular Board meeting on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at the Administrative Office Building on Rankin Street.

Following the opening prayer and Pledge of Allegiance, Superintendent Jason Sanders made a recommendation to hire Craig Boone with Architecture Plus and C. R. Crawford, Construction Manager to do the facility renovations for the district. Michael Turner made a motion to accept the recommendation. Rosa Bowman seconded and the motion carried.

Sanders made a recommendation to adopt the second lien bond resolution to finance constructing, refurbishing, remodeling and equipping facilities. Turner made a motion to accept the recommendation. Bowman seconded and the motion passed.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve rescheduled Board minutes for January 23, 2018 and special called Board meeting on February 6, 2018. Turner made a motion to accept the recommendation. Smedley seconded and the motion carried.

Sanders commended Purple Pride High School freshman, Dimiya Johnson, for winning the top award in the State Microsoft Word competition in December. Johnson will compete in the nationals on June 13, in Atlanta, Ga., and if she wins there she may be able to attend the world competition. Johnson’s mother, Nora Johnson and grandmother, Mittie Royal was in attendance at the meeting.

Ashdown High School Principal Kay York, Ashdown Junior High Principal James Jones and L.F. Henderson Principal Keith Fricks reported on the status of their campuses.

Sanders reviewed the calendar and reported that enrollment was up to 1401.

Under New Business, Sanders made a recommendation to approve all the policy changes presented except 4.35; 7.19.1 and 8.43 effective July 1, 2018. Raymond Latson made a motion to accept the recommendation. Bowman seconded and the motion passed.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve TIPS/TAPS vendor ClearEnergy’s proposal for Gymnasium LED Lighting Retrofits for $72,952, to be paid out of the building fund. Smedley made a motion to accept the recommendation. Latson seconded and the motion carried.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve the E-Rate Fiber Network Project bid from AT&T for $4,774 per month on a three-year contract beginning July 1, 2018. This cost has been discounted by 80% using E-Rate funding and the district is paying this remaining 20% of the monthly fee. Latson made a motion to accept the recommendation. Turner seconded and the motion passed.

Sanders discussed the Facility Use Agreement with the Ashdown Schools and the Ashdown City Park with the Board and they agreed to table the item.

Sanders made a recommendation to accept the bid of $75,000 from Kenny and Sherry Grounds to purchase the school property located at 511 North 2nd Street. Turner made a motion to accept the recommendation. Ward seconded and the motion carried.

Sanders discussed transportation routes and signage for school choice with the Board.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve School of Innovation for the high school for the 2018-19 school year, for a four-year timeline. Latson made a motion to approve the recommendation. Smedley seconded and the motion passed.

Sanders made recommendation to purchase pay cards for the district with a $40,000 limit. Ricky Ward made a motion to accept the recommendation. Bowman seconded and the motion carried.

Ward made a motion to go into executive session at 7:13 p.m. Bowman seconded and the motion carried.

A little over 30 minutes later, the Board returned to open session. No action taken during the executive session.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve Board minutes for the February 15, 2018 special called Board meeting. Latson made a motion to accept the recommendation. Smedley seconded.  Motion passed.

Sanders made a recommendation to approve Elisha Stone to teach on her conference period as needed on a time card. Latson made a motion to accept the recommendation. Bowman seconded and the motion carried.

With no further business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned.